If you want to venture out, there are some amazing ways to experience the stunningly beautiful Potomac Highlands. Below are some great excursions to start with. But really you only need to drive and you will find trails and adventure around every bend.
At stunning Seneca Rocks:
Visit Spruce Knob – the highest point in WV
- A tower 360 degree vistas
- A lovely ¼ mile walk around the peak
- Miles of other trails.
Explore the largest national forest east of the Mississippi – the majestic Monaghahela National Forest
- Spruce Knob
- Dolly Sods
- Canaan Valley
- and Blackwater Falls
- Thousands of miles of uninhabited trails.
Take the canoe, fish or walk around Spruce Knob Lake.
Cast a line in the North Fork of the South Branch of the Potomac
Check out our secret swimming holes that we will email with directions if you are coming in summer. Sun on the rocks, float down the river or just splash the day away!
Ride one of the historic trains:
Check out the great excursions at Eagle Nest Outfitters.
Explore the telescopes and science exhibits at Greenbank Observatory.
Bothdownhill skiing and cross country is within easy reach during the winter:
- Historic Franklin – the Pendleton County Seat and the closest town. You can take a historic tour, buy groceries and grab a bit at one of the country restaurants.
- Historic Elkins – a bigger town with a movie theater and shopping malls and also where you catch the mountain trains.
- Davis – a small funky town in Canaan Valley where you can find the Purple Fiddle and a much more eclectic vibe.
Places to Grab a Bite
While this isn’t a place you’d come for gourmet dining, we do have some fun places to grab a bite.
- The Gateway – diner fare just down the road
- At Seneca Rocks – the Coffee Shop, really only open in the climbing season and the Front Porch.
- On the road to Franklin and in Franklin there are a number of country options.
Special Events & Seasons near Spruce Knob Retreat
- Treasure Mountain Festival – the areas biggest todo! Country Music, country stores and crafts, dress up contests and more!
- Maple Syrup Festival – this happens in the Spring in nearby Monterey, VA and is when all the country maple syrup producers open their doors to purchase syrup, donuts, candy and other sweets!
- Ramp Season – when the wild onions are in season.